Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter reminded me why I smile so much!

Going back home to Middlesboro, Kentucky for Easter truly gave me a reminder of why I keep smiling every day. My family. It was so great to be able to relax at home and not have a worry in the world. For the past two weeks, I have had a lot of wonderful people give me praise and appreciation for going public with my story and how badly I struggled with accepting Parkinson's Disease as a part of my life. For all of you that have read my book, I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about. Many others that got a chance to watch my interview on ABC news heard for the first time that I have Parkinson's. Also, dozens and dozens of my co-workers are just finding out about my disease. I always thought that once people found out, that I would go from being "David the funny guy" or "David our sales rep" or "David the stud" (LOL I'M ONLY HALF KIDDING), that I would now become "that's the guy with Parkinson's". Let me be honest, what people now label me as really doesn't change anything about me. I am still always going to continue being the guy that smiles and makes others laugh. And if being known as "that young guy with PD" is what it takes to raise money for a cure, then bring it on. While I was home, I didn't have to worry about anybody in my family judging me for what I have. My brother and I still reminisced about our days as young Kentucky fans.....my Dad and I still laughed about stupid things I did when I was little. Mom and me talked about how histarically funny our lives have become, and also about how as she's gotten older in age, how slow she drives makes me want to pull my hair out!! My cousin Dan and I got to joke around about how it's all my fault for not mentioning his book during my interviews with ABC and Fox News.... FYI....his book is called Integrated Sports Solutions and you can find it on facebook! (There ya go Dan) It was great to feel at ease for the weekend. Thanks to my family and everyone else that I got to spend time with this past weekend..... For all of those back home, my speaking event/book signing will be on Friday, April 20th at 5pm at the Middlesboro High School Library. Please, if you are in the area, I hope that you can come. If you can't, please post on your wall about the event. All proceeds will be donated to the Michael J. Fox Foundation. I hope to see all of you there!! Keep smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment