Monday, January 16, 2012

Your life is about the people who are in your life

I got the opportunity to spend this weekend with my best friend from high school, Brian Powell, and it was yet again days spent laughing and quoting Wedding Crashers for 48 straight hours (Rule #1, no excuses play like a champion)!  It truly made me realize that our lives are nothing without the great people we surround ourselves with.  Maybe this is something that a lot of us take for granted, but it has become an amazing thing for me to look up to and enjoy every moment of every day.  Parkinson's has taken many things away from me for the last year, things that I will never be able to do again, but it still and will never take away my mind or my soul.  My father has had a rough battle with Parkinson's Disease for the past 5 years, and watching him go through the first few were very difficult.  However; to see how positive he is now, and his great outlook on how wonderful our lives really are (especially when Kentucky is having an awesome basketball season), it makes it difficult not to smile everyday.  Being able to lean on my father for help and advice as I go through the early stages of this disease, he has really inspired me to become a better person.  Soon I will be in the final stages of publishing an autobiography that I've written that talks about my life of ups and downs, and my struggle to accept Parkinson's Disease as a part of my life.  All the proceeds of the book will be donated to the Michael J. Fox Foundationg for Parkinson's Research in hopes that somehow a cure can be found for this disease.  Thank you so much for everything you've done for me Dad.  Between the two of us, we might not be able to keep our hands still or keep from spilling our drinks, but we sure can have a lot of laughs at the kitchen table reminicing about when I was a kid.  Put a smile on your face everybody and be thankful for those who are in our lives.

2 comments:

  1. David I love you so much. I wish we could see more of you but I know your a busy guy. Just wanted to let you know I'm here for you when ever you need to talk. Hope to see you soon. I have a smile on my face because you are in my life. Love you bunches,
    Aunt Cherry Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Aunt Cherry Lynn. I always smiled growing up because you were the greatest. I wish our families were closer, but I guess that's just something that happens when we all move away. Actually we've become disconnected because you stopped making your Hawaiian pizza that I liked so much, so Dad and I have been trying to ignore you for years!!!! HAHAHA just kidding.....but seriously....please make it for Luke's wedding in May! I'm so glad you reached out to me on here and can't wati to see you soon. I love you!

    ReplyDelete